April 12, 2005

Diversity Ahoy!

From a reader's reader at the U.S. Naval Academy:

Here at the Naval Academy the senior midshipmen (first class) recently made their picks for next year's leadership (from the class of 2006). This list was rejected by the senior officer leadership. I mention this only to set up the background for the email from the Commandant we got today explaining the situation:

"To The Brigade of Midshipmen:

As you know I returned the initial slate of the Fall 2005 stripers to my staff and the 1/c leadership. I asked them to re-examine the list and provide a recommendation of stripers that better reflected the diversity of the Brigade.

Let me tell you why I did that so that you can understand my intent.

Let me begin with some beliefs:

- I believe the diversity of the Brigade of Midshipmen should reflect the diversity of our great Nation. Do you agree?

- I believe that the diversity of the Navy's officer corps must reflect the diversity of the sailors we lead. Do you agree?

- I believe that the leadership of any team must reflect the diversity of those they lead? Do you agree?

If you share these beliefs, then you can understand that when I reviewed the 1/c leadership assignments proposed for the Fall Semester and saw that it did not agree with my core beliefs, I had to take action. A leader must take action!

Very simply....I believed it was "the right thing to do."

Therefore, I am asking for your support in understanding my intent and goal in taking this action.

I want the 1/c leadership for the Brigade to reflect its diversity. It is one of our strengths!

I've attached my Commandant's Standard on "Team Building and Diversity" to remind you of my beliefs on this topic. These are core beliefs of the Navy. If you do not share these beliefs you need to ask yourself "why not".

I am proud of the Brigade!!! You've responded to every challenge I have offered you. This is a very difficult challenge because it forces you to deeply examine your own personal beliefs.

Thank you for continued support Brigade and keep charging!

R/CAPT Joe Leidig
Commandant"


My published articles are archived at iSteve.com -- Steve Sailer

No comments: